100% secure payment system
Pay in US dollars
Over 3.5 million tickets sold
1. Vatican Museum, Vatacombs, and St. Peter's Basilicaat Vatican Museums, Vatacombs, and St. Peter's, Tue, 10 Dec 2019 - Tue, 9 Jun 2020
From $ 72.50
2. Colosseum & Roman Forum: Guided - Gladiator's gateat The Best of Rome 2 hours, Tue, 10 Dec 2019 - Tue, 31 Mar 2020
From $ 57.80
3. The Angels and Demons Tourat The Angels and Demons Tour, Mon, 16 Dec 2019 - Tue, 31 Dec 2019
From $ 73.10
4. Rome in a day - 7 hoursat Rome in a Day, Tue, 10 Dec 2019 - Mon, 30 Mar 2020
From $ 145.00
5. 2-in-1 Guided Colosseum & Guided Vatican tourat Best of Rome and the Vatican, Tue, 10 Dec 2019 - Mon, 30 Mar 2020
From $ 113.50
6. Colosseum & Roman Forum: All of ancient Rome - 8 hoursat Rome in a Day: Colosseum, Roman Forum & Palatine Hill, Tue, 10 Dec 2019 - Tue, 8 Dec 2020
From $ 113.20
7. Roman Crypts, Catacombs & Dark Heartat Roman Crypts, Catacombs & Dark Heart, Wed, 11 Dec 2019 - Sun, 6 Dec 2020
From $ 115.10
8. Ghost Hunting in Romeat Ghost Hunting in Rome, Tue, 17 Dec 2019 - Tue, 31 Dec 2019
From $ 103.60
9. Colosseum & Roman Forum: Fast Trackat Colosseum: Fast Track, Tue, 10 Dec 2019 - Fri, 31 Jan 2020
From $ 37.80
10. Vatican & Sistine Chapel: Guided Highlights - 2 hoursat Vatican Morning Tour, Tue, 10 Dec 2019 - Tue, 9 Jun 2020
From $ 62.00
Roman Crypts and Catacombs Tour
Take a fascinating journey back in time as you explore the Roman Catacombs and crypts. You won't believe what lies under Rome until you explore it for yourself.
- Step back in time as you descend underground
- Visit the bone-adorned Capuchin Crypt
- Explore Basilica San Clemente
- Admire the art of the catacombs
- Learn about the conflict that early Christianity spurred in Imperial Rome
What can I expect?
Visit the Roman Crypts and Catacombs
This tour peels back layers of history to let you discover Imperial and early Christian Rome. Travel back two millennia and descend into the Roman catacombs: underground passageways used as burial chambers.
At the height of the catacombs' use, Christianity was gaining ground in ancient Rome. It was considered a cult, however, and its practitioners were executed as heretics and buried as martyrs. The long underground corridors quickly became filled with hundreds of burial chambers, from modest single graves to extravagant family tombs.
The highlight of the tour may well be the Capuchin Crypt, decorated with the bones of 4,000 Capuchin monks. Needless to say, you won't soon forget the sight of chandeliers made of vertebrae or a real skull and crossbones.
The recent addition of a museum at the Crypt allows you to witness Caravaggio's magnificent painting, "Saint Francis in Meditation." The museum also features relics from the life St. Francis himself, plus those of his followers.
The walls of the Crypt are emblazoned with the message What you are now we used to be; what we are now you will be... According to the monks, this is a reminder of the briefness of our time on earth, and ultimately, a message of hope.
How does it work?
How do I get my tickets?
Your e-ticket will be emailed directly to you shortly after your booking is complete. Please print it out and bring it with you on tour.
Where does the tour start?
The tour starts at Piazza Barberini by the large Triton fountain. Please arrive 15 minutes prior to the start of the tour.
Where does the tour end?
The tour ends at about 6 PM at Piazza Barberinin or Piazza della Repubblica, depending on the route.
- Entrance into religious sites, such as those visited on this store, requires adherence to a strict dress code. All individuals must have knees and shoulders covered. CityWonders and Ticmate cannot be held responsible for refused entry due to improper dress.
- This tour involves a substantial amount of walking, hills, and stairs. Comfortable shoes are recommended.
- Please note that Rome is one of the most visited cities in the world, making certain attractions extremely busy in high season. We plan carefully to limit your exposure to crowds, but please be aware that some locations may be unavoidably busy during standard hours.
Infants (0-1): Free
Fantastic: 4.8 – 8 reviews
Lars Th, 19 Sep 2019
"Vilka fantastiska arkitekter,Katakomberna är ju så robusta än idag. Kryptorna hade en otrolig historia. Hela turen gjorde mig mållös. Jag njöt varje sekund."
Spændende tur til krypte og katakomber
"Det var nemt at vælge og bestille turen hjemmefra, og så bare møde op på det aftalt sted og tidspunkt. Guiderne var dygtige og gode til at fortælle om historierne bag serværdighederne. Det var i det helt taget en god tur, hvor vi så knoglekrypten inde i Rom, og derefter med bus blev kørt ud til katakomberne. Vi sluttede igen af inde i Rom."
Interessant tur under jorden
"Dyktige og hyggelige guider tok oss med på en spennende tur under jorden i Roma."
Print out voucher
Running Time: 3 hours 30 minutes
The tour departs daily at 2:30 PM.
Roman Crypts and Catacombs Tour
Piazza Barberini, 00187 Roma, Italy
Need help with your booking? We will gladly answer your questions.